8.25.2008

"Shea"ing goodbye...

On Friday night 3M so kindly gave my dad two tickets to the Mets game. Dad ended up taking me. What started out as a great game with beautiful weather, a heck of a battle on the mound (Santana vs. Oswalt) and Latina Fiesta promotion to boot, turned out as a sob fest. (FYI - Mets won 3-0...with a Wright blooper RBI single to score Reyes and a two-run shot by Schneider with Churh on base - his first game back since being knocked around.)

Walking out of the stadium, looking up at the illuminated outline of a catcher, my eyes filled with water. I couldn't help but to thank my dad (and Shea) for 18 years of memories. My first game there was at seven years old and, since then, my father has made it a point to take me to Flushing at least once a year. Most games I couldn't tell you who was pitching or even the score, but what I can tell you is that I went with the greatest dad in the world [what a sapp I'm being] and that I had a wonderful time.

And the memories, ah, there are memories galore. Like when he couldn't find a parking spot and we parked on the street in front of a store called "Toys 'F Us" No, that wasn't a bulb that stopped worked, it was the letter "F".

Or when we sat in the row right behind the clock in right field and we put our sodas on top of the clock and an usher came over and told us to take them down.

Or when I wore [gulp] one of those orange and blue striped cat-in-the-hat hats and insisted my picture get taken by the Todd Hundley banner. [Um, yeah - I may have to burn that photo...]

0 comments: